Thursday, March 26, 2009

First Hoop

OK...so...as you'll come to find...many of my stories will revolve around Lauren. I promise they won't all be about her, but 5 year olds do some of the best/funniest/strangest/awesomest things ever.

Tonight was a watershed moment for her. Standing by herself, staring at a 10 foot basketball hoop, holding onto a green soccer ball, my awesome 5 year old made her first unassisted basket. I wasn't counting how many she missed before that. I was just chasing rebounds all over the court, and it was a great time. This was my opportunity to be a cheerleader and build into my daughter's self-esteem.

It was odd that miss after miss she would let doubt creep in. How does a 5 year old even know doubt? Yet, when I said, "OK Lauren, let's go home," she wouldn't give up. She wanted to try it just one more time.

Then she made a second, and eventually a third. She makes me proud, but it's even better to see how she was proud of her accomplishments. She walked a little taller back to the car.

I've only heard of the issues facing young girls growing up in this society, and I can't even fathom the pressure she's going to be under as she gets older. I don't know how to overcome all the issues she faces, other than to love her and show her what a real man looks like.

It gives me a goal, something to strive for. To be the best dad/cheerleader/role model I can be. If I can do even half the awesomest things she does, I think we'll all be OK.

2 comments:

  1. so annoying - my first fabulous post was deleted...I'll try again, but I'm sure I won't be able to recapture all its glory!

    GOOD JOB!! Its super super important to build into your little girls self esteem! And you're right that the model of a godly man, father and husband will go far in building into her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's pretty much my favorite 5-year old . . . Uncle Will says so!

    ReplyDelete